Saturday, June 09, 2007

THE NIGHT HIKE



In order to maintain my status as the "cool young host dad," I make sure I introduce my students to stuff they wouldn't normally experience on their own. Usually that means I invite them to things that I am already doing, like my birthday party last weekend.

Tonight, my 14-year-old Russian student and my two Swiss students joined me on my adventures! The youth group I sometimes spend time with went to Lizard's Mouth, a rocky hiking/climbing spot in the foothills above Santa Barbara. Jon Bancroft, the youth pastor over at Calvary Baptist Santa Barbara likes to take his group on awesome outdoor adventures: biking, white water rafting, rock climbing, snowboarding, etc. These adventures are great alternatives to what a lot of their peers are experiencing on a Friday night.

We watched the sun setting over the hills, tried some small bouldering challenges, and played Sardines (a game similar to Hide-and-Seek)! It was good fun, and the consensus on the ride back was that "it was great! Totally awesome." Smiles all around!

P.S. Can you guess who is Swiss and who is Russian?

No comments: