Thursday, September 04, 2008

Ok. It has been a few weeks now and I am definitely back from traveling around Mexico. In fact, I am so back that I have started substitute teaching again around town!

I almost got my job back, at Santa Barbara Junior High, where I worked for four months last year. Almost. The school wanted me, but, long story short, I basically didn't have enough credentials (or any sort of background whatsoever) in History and so the school district couldn't hire me.

So I am subbing. And guess what?? I've subbed three days already, and school has only been in session for two weeks. I got to do some pre-calculus for my friend Matt Long who teaches at Dos Pueblos High School.

Tomorrow I will be back at the junior high. For math. For advanced math, actually, which means one thing: I will get to see all of my beloved GATE students again.

Today, my friend Felipe went to visit some of his Young Life kids over at the junior high and so I went with him to visit.

IT
WAS
AWESOME.

I basically walked out of the hallways into the lunch area and was more or less mobbed by what seemed like my entire two GATE classes from last year. They are all still super funny and weird and beautiful and going to change the world. I just talked to a big huddle of students for the whole lunch period. It was wonderful. I got to hear how they went to Israel, Seattle, the movies, motorcycling, etc. I got to hear new inside jokes, hear about school and how all the little seventh graders are (not cool, apparently).

The principal was out there and when all the kids mobbed me he started telling seventh graders that I was a famous character from The Hills television show and that's why they were all so excited to see me. Just so you know, I look nothing like any of the people on The Hills.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Hey Phil! I'm glad your back. Thanks for all the comments by the way. I'm glad someone checks out my blog. I want to go shooting with you sometime soon. And I'm about to call you about playing some bass!

PlumLily said...

Yay! You're home. Now I can mail your CD for you... I believe we're on #3. I've titled it "Take Five" watch for it in the mail!

Katie Houston said...

You are so popular...always have been...but hey, what can you do? The public needs you!

Anonymous said...

hey phil!
hows your sex life?
sorry, i was curious...thought maybe i could become your first...so lets arrange something!
♥ ♥ ♥