Thursday, September 25, 2008

One of the funnier things that has occurred in the past two weeks that I have subbed at Santa Barbara Junior High is this:

Every morning I put up a PowerPoint slide to be shown at the beginning of each class. It usually says something like,

"Happy Tuesday! September 23rd, 2008. Please take out:
•Pencil
•Agenda
•Science Log
•Homework from last night

HOMEWORK: Complete vocabulary list"

Boring, right? Well, on the days that we don't have homework, I like to throw in this line: "HOMEWORK: Enjoy life." And invariably, more than one student will ask me "What does it mean to enjoy life??" What's ridiculous is that they are seriously asking me what I mean for them to do that evening. They aren't quite sarcastic enough to be joking about not enjoying life because school is getting them down or something. They just want to know, "What does it mean to enjoy life?"

Seriously? Seriously.

2 comments:

PlumLily said...

Hahah, hey, I still struggle with the idea of enjoyment.. esp. with my two jobs... Smile! And tell them to "Relax" that always helps me! Then I bask in the sun, the green grass, the fresh air! Life is beautiful!... Seriously.

Unknown said...

what do you tell them?