Saturday, April 12, 2008

THE TOUGHEST CLASS

My fourth period class is my most recalcitrant. I don't know if I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: Normally a typical class of 30 students will have about one to three rough personalities--the ones who make class hard to get through. I have 12 of those personalities. Even the principal, the assistant principal, and the counselor all agree that my class is ridiculous. They wince when they think about my classroom management dilemmas.

Imagine this: The tiniest seventh grade girl, Mexican with big hoop earrings, always with a dark blue oversized sweater, and a voice that you can hear through the walls of other classrooms. Two days ago, when I about 10 names written on the the board as a warning for bad behavior, and five students were outside in the hall for being disruptive, she shouts out

"You can't handle us, Mr. V!"

Haha, what am I supposed to say to that? I tried to be stern, "Yes, I can!"

"No you can't!"

And I laugh and respond "Well, what am I supposed to do?" This is a legitimate question because I really don't know what I am supposed to do with them.

She proceeds to tell me that I need to yell at them more, like their last teacher. But I hate yelling, I say. I can't do that. She offers to yell at people for me.

They warm my heart. But they make me tired, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My advice to Mr. Long is identical. Some students need gentle coaxing, some need their hands held, some need a good kick in the ass.

Joe Bunting said...

Recalcitrant

1. resisting authority or control; not obedient or compliant; refractory.
2. hard to deal with, manage, or operate.

Good word, Phil.